Oct 18, 2019
CET 215 - Roadway Design Fundamentals Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 4
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
This course will introduce the student to highway design. Topics will include an overview of the highway development process, design criteria and standards, horizontal alignments, vertical alignments, cross-sections, earthwork, construction details, specifications and estimates of quantities. A final highway design project will be completed.
Prerequisite: CET 101
- Discuss an overview of highway development process
- Discuss a brief history of highway development.
- Discuss highway administration and finance
- Describe the 5 stages of the FHWA highway development process
- Discuss the planning stage of high way development.
- Describe how traffic data is collected
- Discuss basic concepts of transportation modeling.
- Discuss the project development (evaluation) stage of highway development
- Discuss economic analysis of projects
- Discuss basic concepts of transportation modeling
- Discuss an overview of the design stage of highway development.
- Describe types of highway surveys
- Interpret basic plan features such as contours and stationing.
- Describe the steps of preparing preliminary and final road plans.
- Discuss the basics of the right-of-way stage of highway development.
- Describe the principles of designing a right-of-way layout.
- Discuss the right-of-way acquisition process
- Discuss the basics of the construction stage of highway development.
- Describe the process of selecting contractors to build a project.
- Describe the construction inspection process.
- Discuss basic driver and vehicle characteristics
- Describe perception-reaction time and driver expectancy.
- Describe vehicle types, sizes, and performances.
- Discuss basic design standards and controls
- Identify sources for design standards
- Describe design exceptions
- Identify the most important design controls.
- Design the horizontal alignment of a highway
- Layout tangents for a horizontal alignment.
- Design curves for a horizontal alignment.
- Calculate stationing on curves and alignments.
- Design superelevation on curves
- Design the vertical alignment of a highway
- Understand the principles of sight distance
- Layout tangents for a vertical alignment
- Design curves for a vertical alignment
- Calculate elevations along a vertical alignment.
- Plot cross-sections for a highway project
- Describe elements of highway cross-sections
- Plot existing ground cross-sections
- Plot proposed roadway cross-sections
- Compute earth work for a highway project
- Compute volumes of earthwork
- Plot a mass diagram
- Calculate overhaul from a mass diagram
- Prepare construction details, specifications, and estimates of quantities.
- Create new or reference construction details for a highway project.
- Create a new or reference specifications for a highway project.
- Computer estimates of quantities for a highway project
[Add to Portfolio]