Aug 19, 2019
CET 240 - Soils and Erosion Control Credits: 2
Lecture Hours: 1
Lab Hours: 2
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
The student will learn concepts of geology and engineering properties including soil type, index properties, soil classification, stress and strain, soil compaction and erosion control. Iowa DOT Soils Certification and Erosion and Sediment Control Certification will be awarded upon successful completion of certification exams.
Prerequisite: MAT 773
- Examine the concepts of geology and soil identification.
- Explain rock formations, classification and basic properties.
- Summarize weathering process conversion from rock to soil.
- Discuss transport process conversion from rock to soil.
- Outline basic soil properties and their influence on the behavior of soil as an engineering material.
- Compare soil index properties and their application to soil performance.
- Evaluate soils in the Unified, USDA and AASHTO soil classification systems.
- Perform field soil identification tests.
- Perform coarse soil sieve analysis test.
- Perform hydrometer analysis test.
- Perform Plastic Limit Test.
- Perform Liquid Limit Test.
- Calculate Plasticity Index.
- Utilize results from soil tests to classify soils.
- Compare and contrast soil performance based on its classification.
- Formulate the principles of total and effective stress in the subsurface.
- Discuss the total stress versus depth in the subsurface.
- Calculate effective stress versus depth and the effect of ground water levels.
- Review total and effective horizontal stresses with depth.
- Analyze the effect of ground water levels on buoyant forces.
- Analyze subsurface stresses, soil consolidation, and settlement.
- Calculate the change in subsurface stress due to external forces.
- Review methods of vertical and horizontal stress distribution.
- Discuss the concept of drainage, permeability, and soil consolidation.
- Determine the effect of ground water levels on settlement.
- Perform unconfined compression strength test.
- Assess subsurface sampling processes and procedures.
- Understand the importance of Field Observations and documentation.
- Explain Sample Treatment Procedures.
- Interpret Soil reports.
- Evaluate Moisture-Density relationships and their impact on compaction requirements.
- Perform Proctor & Modified Proctor moisture-density tests.
- Perform Sand Cone Density tests.
- Obtain Radiation Safety Certification.
- Perform Nuclear Density Test.
- Perform test for moisture content of soil.
- Discuss Erosion and Sediment Control requirements.
- Review and become familiar with details in the contract documents.
- Understand the difference between erosion and sediment control and requirements of both on highway construction projects.
- Discuss Best Management Practices for erosion and sediment control.
- Explain the requirements of the Storm Water Permit.
[Add to Portfolio]