Mar 26, 2019
ADN 240 - Health and Illness Concepts I Credits: 6
Lecture Hours: 3
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 9
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
This course will include the concepts of professionalism, safe practice, communication, culture, care across the lifespan, health promotion, and nursing process. This course will focus on application of independent and collaborative nursing care. The course will build on previously delivered material and discuss new, intermediate to complex nursing concepts. Course includes a variety of settings. Course includes practicum application.
Prerequisite: ADN 140 with a “C” or better and BIO 173 with a “C” or better and ENG 105 with a “C” or better
Prerequisite OR Corequisite: ADN 210 with a “C” or better
- Employ behaviors of a professional nurse.
- Demonstrate the professional nurse’s responsibility related to nurse client relationship.
- Demonstrate the professional nursing behaviors related to roles.
- Practice safe nursing practice.
- Demonstrate the role of the registered nurse in medication and intravenous fluid management including advanced dosage calculation.
- Demonstrate principles of safe practice when implementing and documenting nursing interventions.
- Apply communication techniques.
- Employ effective communication to facilitate client care.
- Demonstrate individualized therapeutic communication within client care.
- Employ culturally competent nursing care.
- Apply cultural competence as a provider of client care.
- Demonstrate cultural competence within client care.
- Apply knowledge of nursing care across the lifespan.
- Demonstrate effective client care across the lifespan.
- Apply the nursing process to care of clients across the lifespan.
- Validate family roles and importance when providing nursing care.
- Model knowledge of health promotion.
- Identify client’s health promotion needs in a variety of healthcare settings.
- Demonstrate health promotion within client care.
- Apply the nursing process.
- Utilize the nursing process to provide nursing care in a variety of settings.
- Utilize standardized plans of care.
[Add to Portfolio]