May 24, 2019
BIO 900 - Field Studies in Medical Sciences Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 1
Lab Hours: 2
Practicum Hours: 6
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Open
This course is designed to give the student an opportunity to study the fields of medical science outside of a typical classroom setting. Students will investigate and develop an understanding of patient care, human physiology, disease process and ethics through scientific, inquiry-based activities, in a supervised environment that meets the requirements of the investigation.
Prerequisite: Instructor Permission
- Evaluate community and population health.
- Analyze and understand health in terms of lifespan including obstetrics, pediatrics, family practice and geriatrics.
- Investigate factors influencing disease prevention.
- Diagram the role of nutrition and exercise in achieving and maintaining good health.
- Compare and describe factors impacting rural health.
- Interpret and explain the Affordable Healthcare Act (AHA).
- Analyze the health insurance industry and explain how the business model works.
- Analyze scientific reading literacy by exploring relevant literature of the field
- Review relevant scientific information.
- Discuss using medical terminology, a double-blind placebo controlled study as related to medicine.
- Distinguish peer-reviewed scientific literature from other published medical information or studies.
- Interpret credibility of professional health science literature.
- Evaluate effective professional skills and leadership within the context of a professional environment
- Identify and demonstrate traits of successful health professionals.
- Apply the concept of professionalism as it relates specifically to health sciences and medicine.
- Define and express the characteristics of servant leadership.
- Practice confidentiality and discretion.
- Develop trusting relationships with patients, colleagues, mentors and other professionals.
- Compare and contrast various health careers.
- Participate and reflect on at least three different clinical rotations.
- Differentiate each health care setting in clinical rotations.
- Record all observations, information and results of activities while adhering to all HIPAA laws.
- Compare and contrast different health care fields in terms of cost of education, time in school, work-life balance.
- Compare the educational requirements and summarize necessary certification, registration and licensure requirements.
- Analyze critical thinking and problem-solving in a professional setting.
- Present thoughtful questioning that challenge assumptions, promote higher order thinking, lead to new insights, and validate perceptions.
- Engage in metacognition that supports reflective practice.
- Support processes that analyze, select, use, and evaluate various approaches to develop solutions.
- Engage in analysis and synthesis of multiple sources and points of information.
- Demonstrate intentional use of disciplinary frameworks to analyze complex issues and information.
- Suspend judgment while collecting evidence to make determinations.
- Evaluate inter-professional education (IPE).
- Describe job roles and responsibilities across health professions.
- Explain inter-dependence of various professionals within a team.
- Demonstrate team-building skills necessary for successful outcomes.
- Participate in medical job shadowing.
- Evaluate and summarize different medical salary compensation systems, including patient satisfaction based programs.
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of technology concepts, systems, and operations within the industry.
- Use digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively, including at a distance, to support individual learning and contribute to the learning of others.
- Locate, organize, analyze, evaluate, and synthesize information from a variety of sources and media and use the information in a legal and ethical manner.
- Describe and defend human, cultural, and societal issues related to technology and its relation to the practice of legal and ethical behavior from the lens of various stakeholders.
- Explore health issues from the perspective of a variety of stakeholders.
- Understand and demonstrate the impact of health from various lenses.
- Practice bioethics.
- Investigate the role of human empathy in various health care settings.
- Demonstrate understanding of relevant bioethical and legal principles.
- Analyze complex communication within the context of the professional environment such as:
- Negotiate processes that generate mutually satisfactory solutions
- Resolve conflicts
- Interact effectively with people of different cultures
- Select various communication processes
- Integrate appropriate forms of information communication technology
- Describe the interactions among modes of communication
- Evidence meaningful and engaging interactions
- Compare and contrast various medical record systems.
- Describe and summarize medical record keeping in various health care settings.
- Investigate Iowa laws and regulations protecting health records.
- Model an understanding of HIPPA and its implications.
- Explore patient rights, liability issues, fraud and abuse.
- Conduct a line of scientific inquiry in a medical field setting.
- Identify and propose a scientific project to explore.
- Follow written and oral instructions given by instructor or medical personnel.
- Adapt and be flexible within the learning environment.
- Participate in all required activities.
- Cooperate and collaborate with others involved in the project.
- Communicate effectively with others involved in the project.
- Present a final communication of project learnings.
- Investigate a scientific issue, concept or hypothesis related to biology and medicine.
- Describe pertinent observations.
- Ask appropriate questions from various points of view.
- Complete activities according to the investigative timeline.
- Record all observations, questions, information and results of activities while adhering to all HIPPA laws.
- Summarize all observations, questions, information and results of the investigation.
[Add to Portfolio]