Oct 25, 2020
WAT 411 - Advanced Wastewater Treatment Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 2
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
his course is designed to train operators to safely and effectively operate advanced wastewater treatment processes and facilities with a special emphasis on Activated Sludge, Solids Processing, and new technologies.
Prerequisite: Instructor Approval
- Illustrate how to operate and maintain an activated sludge treatment process.
- Summarize how to start-up, shut down, and maintain various activated sludge processes.
- Identify process control strategies for a pure oxygen activated sludge system.
- Describe the various methods of determining return and waste sludge rates and select the best operational strategies to optimize process perfomance.
- Describe how to operate an activated sludge plant under various loading conditions.
- Interpret a microscopic exam of activated sludge and use that information to help troubleshoot the process or to predict performance.
- Research various solids treatment processes.
- Explain the purpose of solids treatment processes.
- Identify potential safety hazards associated with solids treatment processes.
- Investigate and correct poor process performance and process odors.
- Respond to odor complaints.
- Troubleshoot odor complaints and develop a solution.
- Differentiate how to remove phosphorous from wastewaters using a modification of activated sludge.
- Explain why phosphorous is removed from wastewater.
- Describe some of the different systems used for phosphorous removal.
- Research nitrogen removal processes.
- Explain why nitrogen is removed from wastewater.
- Identify the types of nitrogen removal systems.
- Describe nitrification and denitrification processes.
- Explain how ammonia stripping, breakpoint chlorination, and ion exchange processes remove nitrogen.
- Research treatment processes that reclaim wastewater.
- Describe the various methods of wastewater reclamation and reuse.
- Develop operational strategies for wastewater reclamation and reuse facilities.
- Identify and implement corrective actions when a process becomes upset.
- Troubleshoot an activated sludge process that must treat both municipal and industrial wastes.
- Troubleshoot an activated sludge process that must treat municipal wastes.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)