Feb 22, 2020
MDT 103 - The Business of App Development Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 3
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
An introductory course exploring effective business strategies and successful marketing solutions in the mobile application arena. Identify proven techniques to transform an idea into a profitable app with sales longevity. Discuss how to promote an app to stand out in a crowded marketplace.
- Identify the requirements to start developing mobile applications.
- Identify the mobile platform(s) for app development.
- Describe the hardware requirements.
- Explain downloading and installing the required software.
- Describe registering as a developer for the mobile platform(s).
- Discuss purchasing a domain name for a website to support apps.
- Examine analyzing app ideas and performing competitive research.
- Discuss meeting user needs or issues that are not currently being addressed.
- Explore discovering untapped markets and broadening niche markets.
- Describe enhancing the mobile experience of similar apps by providing more streamlined and convenient features.
- Discuss methods to assess the competition.
- Explain the pros and cons of competing with similar apps.
- Define an app’s differentiators that make it better than existing competition.
- Discuss when to avoid oversaturated app categories.
- Analyze Intellectual Property (IP) rights.
- Define Intellectual Property.
- Differentiate the types of intellectual property protection available and consider which
- Explore how to avoid infringing the intellectual property rights of others.
- Describe the purpose of an End User License Agreement (EULA).
- Discuss when and how to pursue legal action.
- Explore techniques to improve the marketability of apps.
- Discuss creating a favorable first impression.
- Explore creating an effective app icon and logo.
- Discuss the benefits of maintaining a consistent brand identity
- Explore interface design from a user perspective.
- Examine design features to improve accessibility.
- Discuss outsourcing to professional designers.
- Describe the benefits of prototyping and user testing.
- Assess in-app promotion opportunities.
- Discuss how to encourage ratings from users that are happy with an app.
- Examine in-app user review features.
- Explore using in-app email and integrating social networking.
- Describe improving app discovery with in-app cross-promotion and third-party web services.
- Evaluate how free apps can make money in the mobile universe.
- Identify ways to generate revenue from free apps.
- Describe using a free app to up-sell a separate premium version.
- Differentiate between free lite versions of an app versus using a freemium model offering in-app purchases of premium features.
- Discuss offering free apps supported by in-app advertising.
- Summarize the process of linking an app to an external web site with an affiliate program to earn commissions on sales driven to the site.
- Examine monetizing free apps with in-app advertising.
- Explain how in-app advertising can be an effective way to monetize a free app without relying on paid content sales.
- Discuss the current mobile ad networks.
- Explain the value of tracking users’ demographics and usage patterns through in-app analytics.
- Describe how partnering with a sponsor can monetize a free app through product placement deals.
- Evaluate the freemium model offering in-app purchases.
- Explain how existing users make the best customers.
- Explore the in-app purchase feature integrating e-commerce to create additional revenue opportunities beyond traditional app sales.
- List in-app purchase product types.
- Discuss when and how to use in-app purchases.
- Differentiate in-app content built into an app versus downloading content from a remote server.
- Explore testing to ensure an excellent overall user experience.
- Describe the merits of on-device testing and receiving feedback from beta testers.
- Discuss the need to test app features that are not supported in the device simulator.
- Explain the importance of having multiple people test your app.
- Discuss an in-app mechanism for users to send feedback.
- Categorize pre-release marketing strategies.
- Explore the best ways to create excitement and anticipation for an app?s release.
- Discuss growing an online audience through social networks for distributing news about the app.
- Explain the need for a web site or dedicated web page for the app.
- Describe pre-release marketing materials needed to support the social marketing plan and the app’s web site.
- Outline the app submission process
- Describe the general steps for submitting an app to the marketplace.
- Identify common factors to consider when determining an app’s selling price.
- Discuss the importance of names, keywords and images for an app’s product page.
- Explain the app description’s function as a primary marketing tool for users to learn more about the app.
- Evaluate methods to increase consumer awareness of an app’s availability.
- Explore post-release marketing efforts to capitalize on the initial visibility of an app.
- Discuss sending out press releases to major technology and mobile news sites.
- Summarize the process of sending reviewers promo codes for a free copy of the app.
- Describe the importance of reviews and interviews to gain exposure for the app.
- Discuss using limited-time promotions and partnering with popular giveaway sites to receive extra publicity for the app.
Add to Portfolio