Feb 22, 2020
WTT 223 - Airfoils and Composite Repair Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 2
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
This course will enable the student to more efficiently inspect, repair and move/transport wind turbine blades. Students will understand common industry terms used in the manufacture and repair of wind turbine blades.
Prerequisite OR Corequisite: WTT 103 or instructor approval
- Define terms used to describe characteristics of a wind turbine blade
- Identify components of a wind turbine blade
- Identify types of airfoils used in the design of wind turbine blades
- Define aerodynamic lift.
- Define aerodynamic drag
- Describe how lift is obtained on a wind turbine blade
- Define the significance of the lift/drag ratio
- Define wind turbine blade solidity
- Explain the significance of solidity as it relates to a wind turbine.
- Explain the significance of blade area and number of blades.
- Identify materials used in the manufacture of wind turbine blades
- Explain fiberglass resins and catalysts
- Discuss composite materials
- Define methods and techniques used in the manufacture of wind turbine blades
- Explain the use of blade templates
- Explain the construction and use of blade patterns
- Describe the process of fiberglass molding of blades
- Describe the process of finishing of fiberglass blades
- Describe blade failure
- Identify types of wind turbine blade failure.
- Identify causes of wind turbine blade failure
- Describe how to perform a proper blade inspection
- Perform proper documentation of a blade inspection
- Perform a blade inspection using photographic equipment
- Prepare a report of blade inspections using photo documentation
- Learn primary aspects of blade repair
- Describe proper technique used to grind through damaged area of a blade.
- Describe how to prepare area to be repaired on a blade
- Describe proper technique to repair damaged area of blade
- Describe proper technique used to finish repaired area of blade
- Learn the basic procedures for blade balancing
- Define the significance of balancing blades of a rotor set
- Determine amount of weight and distribution used to balance blades of a rotor set
- Describe the proper technique used to balance blades
- Identify proper blade handling practices.
- Identify proper blade transportation practices
- Identify proper blade storage practices
Add to Portfolio