Oct 18, 2019
WEL 239 - Adv Arc II GMAW Unlimited Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 6
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
Skills will be developed in welding and testing on vee groove joints in the vertical and overhead positions unlimited GMAW.
Prerequisite: Welding diploma required
- Recall the safety rules for using shielded metal arc welding equipment.
- Describe safety rules when setting up SMAW equipment.
- State what personal safety gear is worn when using SMAW equipment.
- Explain how to prevent electrical shock when using equipment.
- Practice safety in all work situations.
- Demonstrate the proper set up, start up and shut down procedures of arc welding equipment.
- Illustrate proper set up of equipment.
- Explain the two types of welding machines.
- Show how to set current and polarity.
- Differentiate the function of AC and DC current as it relates to different polarities.
- Explain the difference between AC and DC current.
- Select the electrodes used with AC polarity.
- Select the electrodes used with DC polarity.
- Identify electrodes and how they are used with different polarities.
- Study video #3 and complete workbook assignment.
- Relate how electrode size is determined.
- Explain the numbers on the electrodes as to what they mean.
- Identify the characteristics for each electrode.
- Prepare 3/8” x 5” x 5” plate with 45 degree included angle bevel with line cutter.
- Set up 3/8” x 5” x 5” plate with 1/4” root opening and 1/4” x 1” x 6” backup strip.
- Position 3/8” x 5” x 5” plate in the flat and vertical up positions and weld groove complete.
- Cut 1” off each end of plate after welded, grind each end to smooth finish.
- Remove back up strip with Oxy-Acetylene rivet cutting tip and grind root and face of plate flush.
- Measure and mark remaining 3” piece in half and cut with band saw and grind 1/8” chamfer on corners.
- Operate guided bend tester, bend 3/8” x 1 1/2” x 10”, one face bend and the other root bend.
- Evaluate each piece to see that there is no defect over 1/8” in any direction.
- Lab test over flat and horizontal for final grade.
[Add to Portfolio]