Oct 18, 2019
INF 320 - Legal Informatics Issues Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 3
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
This course examines that set of ethical and legal problems most tightly bound to the issues of information control. The interaction and technology changes, but the core issues have remained: privacy, intellectual property, Internet law, concepts of jurisdiction, speech anonymity versus accountability and ethical decision-making in the network environment.
Prerequisite: INF 110 , INF 130
- Discuss the status of the Technology Policy Environment in the United States.
- Explain the intellectual property system including patents, copyrights, trade secrets and trademarks.
- Outline the public policy process in the united States.
- Explain the rising importance of the First amendment in technology policy disputes.
- Discuss the status of the International Technology Policy Environment.
- Discuss unilateral measures, bilateral arrangements and multilateral approaches.
- Discuss international law as it relates to the Internet.
- Explain the fundamental requirements for patent protection in the United States as it relates to technology.
- Discuss obtaining and defending patent rights in the United States and Globally.
- Discuss patent protection for computer programs and Internet business methods.
- Trace the history patent protection for computer programs and Internet business methods.
- Discuss protection of secret information related to technology.
- Explain important aspects of trade secret laws.
- Explain the function of the Federal Economic Espionage Act.
- Explain the fundamental aspects of copyright protection.
- Explain the rights provided by copyright.
- Explain fair use and other exception to copyright protection.
- Outline the steps taken to obtain copyright protection.
- Discuss copyright protection for computer programs and digital media.
- Discuss the importance of distinguishing ideas from expressions in computer programs.
- Explain legal aspects of reverse engineering of computer programs and clean room techniques.
- Explain legal aspects of digital remixing of copyrighted content for audio and video.
- Discuss copyright laws as they pertain to the Internet.
- Explain online service provider liability.
- Explain legal aspects related to peer-to-Peer file sharing networks.
- Discuss DMCA and copyright protection technologies.
- Discuss internet linking issues.
- Explain procedures for protecting trademarks and product designs in international markets.
- Outline the fundamental principles of trademark protection.
- Explain reasons for conducting a trademark search.
- Explain trademark infringement and remedies.
- Discuss domain names and other trademark issues on the Internet.
- Trace the history of problems with the Internet domain name systems.
- Discuss ICANN address domain name registration issues.
- Discuss trademark issues related to metatags, adware, auction sites, and social networking sites.
- Discuss tort liability for physical and economical harms as they relate to technology.
- Define negligent conduct and explain causation issues.
- Explain strict product liability and consumer product safety regulations.
- Discuss intentional torts involving computer systems including: spam, viruses, Trojan horses, worms and fraud.
- Discuss insrusions on privacy and other personal rights related to technology.
- Discuss sources of laws regulating privacy.
- Explain legal aspects related to monitoring communications and personal activities in the workplace.
- Discuss laws related to collection of personal information from the internet.
- Discuss content control, indecent speech, defamation, child protection and cyber bullying as they relate to internet activity.
- Discuss important contract issues for technology companies.
- Explain express and implied warranties, limitations and remedies.
- Explain shrink-wrap and click-wrap licenses as standardized forms in the consumer context.
- Explain the significance of the Uniform computer Information Transaction Act.
- Discuss Antitrust and Anticompetitive Conduct.
- Outline the philosophical justification for Antitrust laws.
- Explain antitrust enforcement and remedies.
- Trace the history of the antitrust debate about Microsoft.
- Explain intellectual property as it relates to Antitrust and the Doctrine of Misuse.
[Add to Portfolio]