Jan 18, 2020
CSC 105 - Computer Essentials Credits: 1
Lecture Hours: 0
Lab Hours: 2
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: General
The basics of the Windows operating system, electronic communications and internet research will be covered. Students will use basic features of word processing and presentation software. This course is intended for students with limited or no computer skills.
- Perform basic computer operations.
- Correctly identify user interface components of a computer.
- Correctly start up and shut down computer system and peripherals.
- Demonstrate the various functions of a mouse.
- Differentiate between computer hardware and software.
- Use the Windows operating system to manage files.
- Define an operating system.
- Use tools on the Taskbar.
- Open and close programs utilizing icons.
- Manipulate windows by opening, resizing, moving, scrolling, and closing.
- Use menus, toolbars, and online help.
- Create, copy, move, delete, and restore files and folders.
- Save files on a hard drive, removable media, and network drive.
- Compress and extract files using compression software.
- Locate saved and downloaded files.
- Demonstrate the basic use of email.
- Access the email system using login name and password.
- Open, close, delete, reply to, forward, print, and save messages.
- Compose and send a message.
- Demonstrate basic email etiquette.
- Add attachments to an email
- Download, save, and open attachments.
- Maintain a contact list.
- Use the Internet to access information.
- Launch a browser and access specific web pages.
- Use a search engine and search function to locate information.
- Navigate web pages by using the browser’s toolbar functions.
- Manage a list of frequently visited web pages.
- Download files.
- Print text and images found on a web page.
- Manage history and cookies in the web browser.
- Navigate the DMACC website.
- Access Blackboard for course information.
- Demonstrate basic skill in word processing software.
- Enter text, use word wrap, and delete text.
- Create, edit, save, print, close, and reopen a word processing document.
- Format text by modifying fonts and styles.
- Use formatting tools for text alignment, margins, line spacing, and indents.
- Move, copy, paste, cut, and delete text.
- Insert headers/footers and page numbers in documents.
- Demonstrate basic skill in presentation software.
- Create, save, and close new presentations.
- Add slides and apply slide layouts.
- Format slides with text and graphics.
- Reopen and edit presentations.
- Print slides and handouts.
- Switch between different views and advance slides through normal view and slide show view.
- Perform Basic Troubleshooting
- Determine Internet connectivity
- Differentiate between basic user errors and system errors
- Interpret basic error statements in operating systems and applications
- Discuss printing errors
- Understand basic hardware malfunctions
- Know when, where, and from whom to get help
[Add to Portfolio]