Sep 20, 2019
CAD 252 - Design Project I Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 4
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
Design process and procedures will be discussed. Design process and procedures will be discussed. Industry standards will be covered as used for student design projects.
Prerequisite: CAD 152 , CAD 183 , CAD 240 , CAD 182 ,CAD 242 and MAT 773
- Discuss design project conceptions.
- Discuss product markets.
- Examine supply and demand.
- Examine cost analysis.
- Associate typical engineering jobs and duties as they pertain to the design project.
- Discuss design teams.
- Discuss manufacturing/engineering relationships.
- Discuss Product Lifecycle Management. (PLM)
- Discuss company and project security.
- Analyze project components.
- Discuss detail parts.
- Discuss assemblies.
- Review drawing types.
- Discuss layouts.
- Discuss detailed drawings.
- Discuss tabulated part drawings.
- Discuss specifications.
- Discuss source control drawings.
- Discuss assembly, weldment, and sub assembly drawings.
- Discuss parts lists in assemblies.
- Discuss bill of materials. BOM
- Discuss other types of drawings.
- Analyze how the market for a product determines engineering conception and design.
- Evaluate how product marketing drives engineering projects.
- Examine how different factors can enter into product design.
- Research how marketing could effect your design.
- Discuss creating an engineering project.
- Discuss project sketches.
- Discuss project layouts.
- Examine time estimates for drawings.
- Examine CAD/CAM/CAE considerations.
- Discuss material considerations.
- Discuss fabrication techniques.
- Discuss assembly techniques.
- Examine preliminary and critical design reviews.
- Discuss project milestones and GANTT charts.
- Discuss utilizing a 3D solid model for an assembly.
- Discuss automatic updates within engineering department. PLM
- Discuss purchased parts.
- Discuss engineer prototype.
- Explore the engineering release cycle.
- Discuss drawing release cycles.
- Discuss the design drafter’s role in the release cycle.
- Examine revision cycles.
- Examine a revision request document.
- Examine implementing a changes.
- Discuss releasing the change back into the engineering system.
- Discuss the design drafter’s role in the revision cycle.
- Discuss reverse engineering.
- Examine reverse engineering applications.
- Discuss reverse engineering as a means of prototyping.
- Examine practical applications for reverse engineering.
- Reverse engineer a machined/cast part.
- Sketch and measure part with precision measurement tools.
- Reproduce part in parametric software and generate a rapid prototype.
- Discuss 3D scanning of parts and scan a machined/cast part.
- Convert scanned part into a featured parametric part.
- Outline a design project.
- Select a design project.
- Perform a market research for the design project.
- Prepare project notebook.
- Present project ideas to class.
- Prepare preliminary sketches.
- Evaluate project with instructor.
- Evaluate project with subject matter experts.
- Examine engineering prototypes.
- Discuss purpose of prototype.
- Examine prototype simulations.
- Discuss rapid-prototyping.
- Create a project layout.
- Prepare layout conception from preliminary sketches.
- Create design layout of project.
- Calculate time management.
- Prepare project to be completed in CAD 254.
[Add to Portfolio]