Jun 18, 2019
BIO 260 - Biology of Aging Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 3
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: General
This course is designed for individuals planning to work with the elderly population. It covers changes that occur in body systems during the normal aging process, as well as some of the most common dysfunctions and diseases associated with aging. Furthermore, environmental factors, effects of diet and exercise in the aging process will be discussed.
- Identify general topics in the study of the aging human.
- Describe methods used to study aging
- Discuss our changing population.
- Summarize common terms related to aging
- Review the theories of aging
- Describe cellular changes that occur during aging
- Identify changes in cell membrane structure and function.
- Discuss changes that can occur in the cell nucleus.
- Describe aging of the cell organelles
- Summarize age-related changes and dysfunction of the integumentary system.
- Describe changes that commonly occur in the epidermis, dermis, and subcutaneous layer of the skin
- Discuss age-related changes of hair, nails and glands of the skin.
- Describe the temperature regulation of aging skin
- Identify conditions and diseases affecting aging skin
- Describe changes of the skeletal system in the aging human
- Discuss general skeletal changes and their impact of stature.
- Describe the relationship between decreased physical activity and bone loss.
- Summarize changes of the aging joints.
- Discuss osteoporosis and other age-related conditions and diseases
- Describe age-related changes of muscle tissues
- Summarize age-related changes in visceral and cardiac muscle.
- Describe changes in aging skeletal muscle to include muscle weakness, cramping, and problems with stimulation.
- Review diseases associated with aging muscle
- Discuss nervous system changes during the aging process.
- Describe the structural and functional changes in nerve and glial cells
- Summarize changes that often occur in the brain and spinal cord.
- Discuss changes in the meninges
- Describe changes that occur in pain reception
- Describe age-related changes in the peripheral nervous system.
- Describe conditions and diseases of the nervous system associated with aging.
- Summarize age-related changes of the sensory system
- Describe changes and dysfunction in vision
- Describe age-related changes and dysfunction of hearing and equilibrium.
- Discuss changes of chemoreception during aging
- Describe changes and conditions of the aging cardiovascular system.
- Describe the conditions of blood in an aging person
- Discuss blood vessel changes associated with aging
- Describe the structural and functional changes of the heart during aging.
- Summarize age-related conditions and diseases of the cardiovascular system
- Describe age-related changes and conditions of the lymphatic system.
- Discuss the general decrease of the immune response during aging.
- Describe specific age related changes in bone marrow, spleen, thymus gland, lymph nodes, and tonsils
- Describe the changes in lymphocytes
- Discuss disorders of the lymphatic system that can occur during aging.
- Discuss changes that occur in the aging respiratory system
- Describe pulmonary ventilation and lung capacities in the aging body.
- Describe the effect of aging on breathing
- Summarize age-related dysfunction of the respiratory system.
- Describe the aging digestive system and nutrition requirements in elderly.
- Discuss age-related changes in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Describe changes in the accessory structures of digestion.
- Summarize age-related conditions and dysfunction of the digestive system.
- Describe carbohydrate, protein, and fat requirements in the diet of the elderly
- Discuss the vitamin, mineral, and water requirements in the diet of elderly.
- Describe the structural and functional changes that occur in the aging urinary system.
- Describe the anatomical changes in the aging kidney
- Describe changes in glomerular filtration and vascular response.
- Describe changes in the thirst response
- Discuss age-related conditions and diseases of the urinary system.
- Describe the changes in the aging endocrine system
- Describe the changes in hormone concentrations during aging.
- Describe age-related changes of the endocrine organs
- Describe endocrine disorders associated with advanced age
- Discuss hormone treatments and replacement in elderly
- Describe the age-related changes of the male and female reproductive system.
- Describe age-related changes in men
- Describe age-related changes in women
- Summarize diseases and conditions associated with aging
- Summarize environmental factors, the effects of diet and exercise on the aging of the body systems
[Add to Portfolio]