May 19, 2019
AVM 103 - Aircraft-Materials/Processes Credits: 2
Lecture Hours: 1
Lab Hours: 2
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
This course involves basic materials and processes associated with aircraft. Areas of study will include precision measurement, testing of materials, inspection performance, heat treating, identification and installation of aircraft materials.
- Measure accurately with measurement tool
- Demonstrate concepts in inspection.
- List steps of inspection and determine if repairable or serviceable.
- Identify different types of nondestructive testing that can be used on aircraft to detect different types of flaws and failures.
- List the terms and principles of nondestructive inspection.
- Detect defects in aluminum castings and forgings
- Understand magnetic particle inspection and magnaflux and magnaglo inspections.
- Understand instructions and information concerning the methods and materials that dye penetrant inspection involve
- Utilize methods and materials encountered in magnetic particle inspection.
- Perform eddy current inspections
- Perform ultrasonic inspections
- Distinguish between heat treatable and weldable aluminum alloys test procedures.
- Perform inspection tests on welded members
- Determine welds, types of defects and flaws in welds.
- Understand the effects of heat treatment on different metal types.
- Recognize aluminum alloy code designation for its heat-treat-ability.
- Apply methods of heat treatment and strain relieving on aluminum alloys.
- Demonstrate the annealing of copper and steel parts.
- Identify and install aircraft bolts and like fasteners. This will be accomplished by studying each of the following:
- Identify numbering systems, alloys, hardness, alclad/pureclad systems relating to aluminum.
- Identify steel alloys
- Identify the SAE code system
- List uses of aircraft steel
- Identify code marking on steel alloys
- Identify temper conditions of steel
- Understand economic and engineering criteria in selection of aircraft materials.
- Acknowledge the selection of materials as dictated by design of the airplane.
- Determine how and shaping of metals has an effect upon material selection.
- Determine how joining of materials effects material selection.
- Identify aircraft materials and their purpose on aircraft.
- Understand the selection and purpose of rivets used in the aircraft.
- Use the AN rivet code system
- Use the MS numbering system
- List the limitations in uses of rivets
- Identify the rivet strength control methods.
[Add to Portfolio]