AUT 524 - Auto Brake Systems & Service Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 4
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
Instruction in the theory of operation and service procedures of automotive brakes.
- Perform proper shop safety procedures.
- Apply work area safety skills.
- Demonstrate safe personal working habits.
- Practice safe tool and equipment usage.
- Follow manufacturer and government warnings and regulations and repair procedures.
- Acknowledge liability involved with brake repair.
- Explain principles involved with brake system operation.
- Analyze vehicle braking requirements.
- Discuss math and science principals involved in stopping a vehicle.
- Demonstrate an understanding of friction principles.
- Describe hydraulic theory and how it applies to base brake systems.
- Describe relationship between atmospheric pressure and vacuum.
- Examine base brake sub-system.
- Discuss master cylinder operation.
- Discuss brake booster operation (vacuum and hydraulic).
- Discuss drum brake systems design and operation.
- Discuss disc brake system design and operation.
- Examine brake balance control systems.
- Discuss the purpose and operation of ABS.
- Hydraulic System Diagnosis and Repair.
- Diagnose pressure concerns in the brake system using hydraulic principles (Pascal?s Law).
- Measure brake pedal height, travel, and free play (as applicable); determine necessary action.
- Check master cylinder for internal/external leaks and proper operation; determine necessary action.
- Remove, bench bleed, and reinstall master cylinder.
- Inspect, remove, and install hydraulic brake system components.
- Fabricate and install brake lines.
- Select, handle, store, and fill brake fluids to proper level.
- Bleed and/or flush brake system.
- Test brake fluid for contamination; determine necessary action.
- Drum Brake Diagnosis and Repair.
- Diagnose poor stopping, noise, vibration, pulling, grabbing, dragging or pedal pulsation concerns; determine necessary action.
- Remove, clean, inspect, and measure brake drum diameter; determine necessary action.
- Refinish brake drum and measure final drum diameter; compare with specifications.
- Remove, clean, and inspect brake shoes, springs, pins, clips, levers, adjusters/self-adjusters, other related brake hardware, and backing support plates; lubricate and reassemble.
- Inspect wheel cylinders for leaks and proper operation; remove and replace as needed.
- Pre-adjust brake shoes and parking brake; install brake drums or drum/hub assemblies and wheel bearings; perform final checks and adjustments.
- Disc Brake Diagnosis and Repair.
- Diagnose poor stopping, noise, vibration, pulling, grabbing, dragging, or pulsation concerns; determine necessary action.
- Remove and clean caliper assembly; inspect for leaks and damage/wear to caliper housing; determine necessary action.
- Clean and inspect caliper mounting and slides/pins for proper operation, wear, and damage; determine necessary action.
- Remove, inspect, and replace pads and retaining hardware; determine necessary action.
- Lubricate and reinstall caliper, pads, and related hardware; seat pads and inspect for leaks.
- Clean and inspect rotor; measure rotor thickness, thickness variation, and lateral runout; determine necessary action.
- Remove and reinstall rotor.
- Refinish rotor off vehicle; measure final rotor thickness and compare with specifications.
- Retract and re-adjust caliper piston on an integrated parking brake system.
- Check brake pad wear indicator; determine necessary action.
- Describe importance of operating vehicle to burnish/break-in replacement brake pads according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Miscellaneous (Wheel Bearings, Parking Brakes, Electrical, Etc.) Diagnosis and Repair.
- Diagnose wheel bearing noises, wheel shimmy, and vibration concerns; determine necessary action.
- Remove, clean, inspect, repack, and install wheel bearings; replace seals; install hub and adjust bearings.
- Check parking brake cables and components for wear, binding, and corrosion; clean, lubricate, adjust or replace as needed.
- Check parking brake operation and parking brake indicator light system operation; determine necessary action.
- Check operation of brake stop light system.
- Replace wheel bearing and race.
- Remove and reinstall sealed wheel bearing assembly.
- Inspect and replace wheel studs.
[Add to Portfolio]