Oct 18, 2019
ATF 337 - Ford Driveability & Emissions Credits: 4
Lecture Hours: 3
Lab Hours: 2
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
Diagnosis and service of microprocessor-controlled fuel and ignition systems. Computer-based scantools, digital meters and other high-technology instruments will be used.
Prerequisite: Admission to Automotive Student Service Ed Training (ASSET) and ATF 328 or AUT 652 .
Corequisite: ATF 336
- Explain Ford air supply systems.
- Label air cleaner components
- Discuss intake air temperature control systems
- Define the different types and designs of intake manifolds
- Describe turbo/superchargers.
- Service air supply systems
- Demonstrate an understanding of vacuum diagnosis.
- Discuss the fundamentals of vacuum systems
- Explain vacuum schematics and devices.
- Outline the operating sequence
- Outline performance testing procedures
- Explain Ford emission controls
- Discuss air pollution
- Explain positive crankcase ventilation systems
- Identify the components of the evaporative system.
- Review engine design characteristics
- Describe the (EGR) exhaust gas recirculation system.
- Outline the thermactor system.
- Explain exhaust catalyst operation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of ignition system services
- Discuss secondary ignition components
- Review spark plug design and application
- Identify proper test procedures
- List steps for oscilloscope usage
- Diagnose ignition related concerns.
- Outline proper tune up procedures
- Demonstrate proper plug wire removal
- Discuss plug gapping
- Describe timing procedures
- Demonstrate proper coil-on-plug (COP) service.
- Explain four gas analyzers
- Discuss CO, CO2, HC, 02
- Describe relationship between gases
- Identify effects on engine operation
- Use Ford high tech diagnostic equipment
- Operate IDS
- Discuss use of IDS
- Explain Ford systematic approach for troubleshooting Electronic Engine Controls
- Label steps for road testing.
- List proper sequence for testing.
- Identify steps for a visual inspection.
- Outline the proper methods for code retrieval.
- Outline code retrieval steps.
- Review safety precautions
- Examine Ford advanced engine performance strategies
- Review the PCM.
- Outline fuel control system strategies.
- Identify ignition system strategies.
- Define EGR system strategies.
- Describe idle speed control system strategies.
- List thermactor air system strategies.
- State canister purge system strategies
[Add to Portfolio]