Feb 23, 2020
ADN 126 - Passport to ADN Nursing Credits: 2
Lecture Hours: 1
Lab Hours: 2
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 0
Course Type: Voc/Tech
Assists preparation for a successful transition to the ADN program. Passport focuses on knowledge components, student expectations, study/time management skills, critical thinking and concept mapping with emphasis on application.
Prerequisite: Acceptance into the Advanced Standing Nursing program
- Analyze current personal PN knowledge and skills.
- Identify areas of strengths and weaknesses related to LPN/LVN knowledge and skills.
- Develop a comprehensive plan to address identified weaknesses.
- Utilize tools for transitioning success.
- Explore DMACC resources available to assist with success in the .ADN program.
- Identify personal survival behaviors and self-defeating behaviors.
- Describe habits that facilitate success of returning to college.
- Discuss a variety of tools which can facilitate transitional success.
- Create a personal study plan to facilitate transitional success.
- Apply the nursing process to concept mapping.
- Review the inter-relationships among the components of the nursing process.
- Review NAQNDA diagnostic statements.
- Discuss concept mapping as a tool for utilizing the nursing process.
- Apply the process of a concept mapped plan of care to a variety of client scenarios.
- Develop a concept map plan of care for a simulated client with complex medical problems.
- Explore the application of critical thinking in nursing.
- Examine definitions of critical thinking.
- Compare and contrast thinking skills that are related to critical thinking.
- Examine personal critical thinking ability.
- Explore the difference between problem solving within the LPN scope of practice and critical thinking within the RN scope of practice.
- Apply the steps of the nursing process to selected client care situations
- Develop a care plan for a selected client
- Recognize normal assessment findings
- Explain the relationship between the concept of health and assessment data collection
- Discuss developmental considerations
- Discuss the normal range of assessment findings
- Perform a systematic health assessment
- Discuss interview techniques
- Describe the components of the health history
- Differentiate the four basic assessment skills
- Identify appropriate equipment used during health screening and physical examination
- Explain the basic components of a general survey
- Perform a general survey on a selected client
- Perform a systematic health assessment on a selected client
- Demonstrate safety principles and related nursing skills at the LPN level of care
- Differentiate medical and surgical aseptic procedures
- Demonstrate safe administration of parenteral medications
- Adapt medication administration procedures to the specific needs of clients across the life span
- Accurately calculate drug dosages
- Demonstrate intravenous management skills
- Discuss nursing care of the post-operative client
- Perform procedures designed to drain the urinary bladder
- Discuss nursing interventions for the postpartum and newborn client
Add to Portfolio