Apr 18, 2019
ADM 936 - Occupational Experience Credits: 3
Lecture Hours: 1
Lab Hours: 0
Practicum Hours: 0
Work Experience: 8
Course Type: Voc/Tech
Opportunity for supervised work experience related to the major academic interests of students in an approved business setting. Students are guided by coordinated efforts of the employer/supervisor and the instructor. Skills and knowledge are applied by working a minimum of 120 hours.
(This course is Pass/Fail).
Prerequisite: Minimum employable skills as determined by instructor and with instructor approval.
- Use effective workplace communication skills with individuals and/or in group settings.
- Communicate to commonly accepted business standards (read, write, speak, and listen).
- Apply intercultural communication skills in a diverse workplace.
- Follow oral and written directions.
- Ask appropriate questions in seeking clarification.
- Process information in order to make an informed decision.
- Understand personal management skills needed for a specific profession or occupation.
- Develop personal responsibility characteristics regarding workplace situations involving workplace safety, discrimination, harassment, and personal ethics.
- Acquire knowledge about work-related issues such as conflict management, unexpected or unusual events, and/or relationships with co-workers.
- Demonstrate work habits/employability skills to enter, advance, and compete in the workplace.
- Illustrate the value of utilizing time management skills as a means to manage stress and maintain professionalism.
- Acquire and apply self-knowledge to understand one’s abilities, strengths, interests, skills, and talents as seen by self and others.
- Examine how personal interests are relfected in caree decision-making and educational advancement.
- Apply personal learning styles to build on personal development.
- Show willingness to transfer knowledge and skills to new situations.
- Demonstrate the use of supervision as a vital tool to appropriately meet performance requirements.
- Demonstrate employability and career development skills.
- Develop lifelong learning skills that lead to ongoing career development and success in higher education.
- Behave professionally and exhibit positive attitude at all times.
- Recognize the impact of professional values.
- Illustrate how receiving constructive feedback can enhance one’s insights and improve professional behaviors.
- Explain how continuous professional staff growth, development, and advanced educational training are necessary for improving skills competencies.
- Understand the importance of a professional image in the workplace.
- Demonstrate etiquette, self-confidence, appropriate dress and grooming, verbal and nonverbal expressions to communicate an appropriate business image.
- Follow safety and health principles in the workplace.
- Practice honesty, punctuality, respect, courtesy, cooperative attitude, and a willingness to be a team player.
- Maintain confidentiality guidelines.
- Meet established criteria of the occupational work experience.
- Study the Des Moines Area Community College Internship/Work Experience Student handbook and accept the conditions set forth therein.
- Complete college and employer forms and reports as required.
- Examine experiences that affect job performance.
- Develop learning objectives that improve the student’s performance using current tasks in the workplace.
- Evaluate measureable learning objectives as an assessment of one’s knowledge, abilities, and skills.
- Complete the 120 hours of on-the-job training.
[Add to Portfolio]